Sunday, September 9, 2007

Rant on Blogger

There is actually something of interest at the end of this post. Feel free to skip the rant, if you wish.

No major post this week--apologies all around. I'm simply too disappointed with this blog to go to any great effort. As you can tell by looking over at the top of the sidebar, there is an issue with posting pictures in that area. It has been going on for over a month, I have posted to the "help group" numerous times, others have complained about it, and a "blogger employee" has shown awareness of the problem by stating that the matter was being looked into.

And yet, the problem persists. I don't buy into the argument that these blogs are free, and we get what we pay for. We are part of the advertising-dollar-generating stream that Google makes its billions from. I don't expect personalized service here, only that when a problem has been pointed out, somebody fixes it, or at least explains why it can't be fixed. I've had various "work-arounds" described and explained to me to resolve the issue, but frankly, I don't care to do it. The main reason that I like Blogger is that I can very easily present a semi-interesting blog, without having to learn a lot of html crap. If I have to go into the template and start dicking around with stuff, I'm not interested.

I have a blog on WordPress, and as it turned out it was very easy to transfer all of this content over there. I am seriously considering posting a big link over here to that blog, then just continuing over there. I lose a lot in that deal, though. This blog is already established, I've got a bit of a page rank, finally, and people are starting to drop in and check things out more often. I don't know. I guess I'll think about it over the next week and decide.

Okay, well, I guess I do have some non-rant material. I meant to put this up mid-week, and was too busy. Elissa Malcohn's book Covenant, the first in her Deviations series, is available for pre-order at Aisling Press. Here's the cover:


If you dig back in the archives, you'll find an interview that I did with Elissa, in which she discusses the book, as well as her time spent editing Star*Line magazine back in the '80s. I'm definitely going to order a copy and I'm looking forward to the read. Congrats to you, Elissa! You guys can read more from Elissa at her blog, Chronicles from Hurricane Country.

No comments: